What is Blood Flow Restriction Training (BFR)?
Whole Health Chiropractic uses smartcuffs as it’s BFR device. Blood flow restriction training is a training in rehabilitation strategy involving the use of Cuffs or Bands places around a limb during exercise, to maintain arterial in flow to the muscles while preventing venous return (venous occlusion).
How does it work?
- Lack of venous return creates a swelling affect of the muscle
- Metabolites, such as lactate, accumulate and stimulate muscle growth
- Hypoxic environment promote strength and muscle growth
- Direct muscle fatigue forces the nervous system to recruit the largest fast twitch muscle fibers, which had the greatest capacity to grow
- Increase growth hormone (GH) and insulin growth factor 1 (IGF-1)
What are the benefits?
- Increased muscle size or hypertrophy
- Increase muscle strength
- Increased cardiovascular capacity
- Increased GH, IGF1 and maybe testosterone
- Decreased joint/tissue stress
- Little to no damage
- Little to no recovery needed
- Little to no soreness or delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS)
- Low intensity needed (resistance or cardio)
- Immobile or mobility restricted populations:
- Post Surgical
- Athletic populations
- Active recovery
- Decreased joint/tissue loads
- Isolated exercises for “weak link” region